Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on going with tubular upper a arms so the front will work out good with the extra adjustment but the rear? I have purchased a couple lowering blocks from RMS racing and they mount between the spring and the rear tubes but any other suggestion? tnku

·
Registered
474 Posts
Blocks are ok just try not to go more then a 1 1/2". Are you using the stock hangers or relocating the springs in to the frame?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Turning over the front hangers will get you a little lower, shorter rear hangers or sliders will get you a little more. Lowering blocks or de-arched springs. Lots of ways, combo of a few should get you there too.

·
Registered
792 Posts
70 Dustpan said:
... de-arched springs...
Sorry, related question...
Does re-arching change spring characteristics? I have SS springs and want them to work as designed but they are way too high.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't know if this is the best way but........... it is cheap.
Just stuff a set of super stock springs in your trunk, they are heavy and otherwise worthless.
The last few sets i took off cars and hauled out to the garbage were pretty heavy.

·
Registered
828 Posts
AAOUTLAW said:
I don't know if this is the best way but........... it is cheap.
Just stuff a set of super stock springs in your trunk, they are heavy and otherwise worthless.
The last few sets i took off cars and hauled out to the garbage were pretty heavy.
)(/* lol lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
i had a leaf added to my stock springs the had them dearched does anyone know of a good rear shock that is a 1 to 1 1/2inch shorter than stock

·
Registered
491 Posts
Keep in mind that if you change the tilt of the leaf springs by moving the front hanger (pivot point) or rear hanger up or down, you will effect handling characteristics. (understeer, oversteer). The same will happen if you raise or lower the front of the car without doing the back the same amount. Oversteer can be dangerous and easily cause the car to get out of control. ( The rear wants to drive around the front)

I suggest you sell the S/S springs and purchase split mono's and caltracs W/ ranchos and forget about ever having to wander about how effective your suspension is. If not, try removing some of the springs from the S/S springs and get just the cal-tracs.

Firm Feel has new front hangers that have multiple holes for spring mounting. Bill may have something similar. Dr Diff has some real nice front hangers but they are offset.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Whoopsy. I've been reading too many post. They're all starting to blur. Gee, you don't need help with camshaft selection or headers do ya?  **(*)

Lowering blocks will work just fine. The leaf spring should be flat from pivot to pivot. I wouldn't de-arch unless they are a arched already.

Changing the front hanger and going to a slider in back may help to lower, but is more involved.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i dearched my SS springs 2 and 3 inches. i'm running stock replacment kybs and so far i haven't had any problems. i like the way it handles on the street, but i don't know what it's going to do at the track.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steve I want to try to keep the car somewhat stock
doh and Bob! Why didnt I think of that in the first place??? **(*)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts