Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my next project is going to be a '68 Dart with a big block. after following this forum as often as my job allows, I see that there are complications with different applications. so, with my only stipualations being the engine be a big block, B or RB and under chassis headers, what is the best other parts for a easy installation? what brand headers? power steering or manual?basically I will build the car around the best engine size and under chassis headers.I am also considering an altercation, but not sure yet. Brian

G

·
i would build the car around the alter k tion,you need to decide if you are going to use it first.options for headers, brakes,steering and other things will be easier to address after you make that decision.as far as headers i like tti and with an alter k tion you'll have gobs of room for headers.

G

·
Funny you should ask that question. I'm in the process of building just such a car and can tell you first hand some of the problems. I have a 72 Dart Swinger and I've already built the 440 engine to go in it. You can use a stock K member with the spool mounts but they have to be modified in order to work. Or you can use the other style engine mounts and buy the Schumacher mounts to position the engine correctly. The engine position in the engine bay is critical to header fit and transmission mount position. So you need to spend the right amount of time and do it right.

Or you can use one of the afte market rack and pinion steering set ups and do away with the stock style K members and tortion bars all together.

The ONLY headers that I know about that have all four tubes inside the frame rails are the TTI headers (Tube Technologies Inc). I have my set and have done a dry fit and they are tight but will fit if the engine is positioned correctly. OH yes one more thing you can't have power steering with the TTI headers it just won't fit so don't try. That is if you use the stock style K member and stock steering boxes. If you switch to the after market rack and pinion steering you can have power steering.

With the rack and pinion steering you can use an engine front mounting plate in place of side engine mounts but that also requires some fab work. All of this is work but once you're done look what you have, one of the meanest badest torque monsters on the street. Mine is about a year maybe 18 months away from being on the street. It's a street legal bracket racer which if my engine build was correct and all other features, it should run the quarter in the low 11 second range and eat Mustangs and Chevy's for lunch on the street.

If you have other specific questions please feel free to ask, I'll share what I know and have learned.

Dan

·
Registered
459 Posts
daneddy said:
The ONLY headers that I know about that have all four tubes inside the frame rails are the TTI headers (Tube Technologies Inc).  I have my set and have done a dry fit and they are tight but will fit if the engine is positioned correctly.  OH yes one more thing you can't have power steering with the TTI headers it just won't fit so don't try.  That is if you use the stock style K member and stock steering boxes.  If you switch to the after market rack and pinion steering you can have power steering.
The Schumacher headers have all 4 tubes inside the frame, and will let you have power steering with a 440 with a stock k-member/stock steering box...

Ryan

·
Registered
759 Posts
Schumacher. I recommend their entire kit ( Moto-mounts, Tri-Y headers, torque strap).

Our 383 + tranny went in without any issues at all. It was all strapped in and level (with the shims in the kit) in under 30 minutes.

I have no association whatsoever with Schumacher other than that I use and like their product.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Jim_Lusk said:
You really need to decide on a power level first. If it's a relatively mild street car you can use cast iron manifolds or the Schumacher headers. If you want to make real power the Schumacher headers will be a problem.
Jim is absolutely right. The combinations of parts will depend totally on what you want out of the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
also with the alterkation you need to do no fab work at all the alterkation has motor mounts. I'm running an 800 hp B block on the mounts and they are plenty strong.. No motor plate needed.. Those are for the more ametueristic magnum force K instalations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts