Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
69 Dart with 69 B-body rear (11" X 2 1/2") drums. Front is stock (10 X 2 2/4") drums as well. Stock 4 bolt master non power assist.

Question is: Which Master cylinder can I upgrade to? Can I use the aluminum two post master with this set-up. Do I need to change the prop/combo valve? I will be adding 73 up disc brakes in the future but not now.

gt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Drum brakes cars after 1967 are suppose to have a master that has something called residual pressure, meaning it holds a little pressure to keep the brake cylinder seals tight against the cylinder wall. I've never tried using the 2 bolt on an all drum system, but I'm sure someone has. I would just go buy the right master, unless upgrading real soon to front disks. I have used a drum brake master on a disk brake car and it worked fine, don't ask me how. Didn't even know it for a long time, when I looked at the cover on the master and both halves of the cover were the same size, meaning drum brakes only, oops.

·
Registered
143 Posts
hope this helps you,,,,
i would go to the mopar performance master cylinder,,,the smaller bore,,15/16 trust me on this,,if you arre seriously going to a 73 and up front brack disc conversion,, i currently use that master in my baracuda 76 dart sport front disck brakes,,and 11 x 2 1/2 rear drums,,no porp valve at all i use a adjustable porp valve on the rear,,adjusted all the way up because i have 33 inch tall tires 22 inches wide i drive this cAR on the stret and have for several years with this brake set up it is non power,,you wil probably also need the adjustable master brake push rod from mopar,, in my car i had to cut this rod to shorten it it was too long to return fully to let brake fluid in from the resovior,,,this car stops better then any power brake a body car,,,

i have power master brake set up on my dodge street rod it stinks,,,,if i keep the car i will be converting to the mopar performance set up,,, dig this a gut locally here uses the mopar master set up on a pro street nova,,,,thats a switch,,,

e mail me if you have problems,,, [email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts