Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to put some 17's on my dart, but I would like to see some examples first to see if i like the look, before i spend the money. anybody with 17's have pictures? thanks, -Evan

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, i remember, you put mustang wheels on, right? they look good. if i go with 17's, i'll probably do the same thing. i like the cobra r wheels. thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
abodyjoe said:
70 Dustpan said:
Here's link to some pics of my Valiant with 17's on it.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,4442.0.html

did you have to mini tub it to fit those?
All that I did to the wheel wells is to smooth out the bump that is on the outer half of the tub. Pretty much like in this picture of b569rr's, but with the right rearend width you can center them up in the opening and not have to do this. I wanted the wheels out as far as I could get them for the widest track.

Hope you don't mind me using your pic Tom

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
70 Dustpan said:
abodyjoe said:
70 Dustpan said:
Here's link to some pics of my Valiant with 17's on it.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,4442.0.html

did you have to mini tub it to fit those?
All that I did to the wheel wells is to smooth out the bump that is on the outer half of the tub. Pretty much like in this picture of b569rr's, but with the right rearend width you can center them up in the opening and not have to do this. I wanted the wheels out as far as I could get them for the widest track.

Hope you don't mind me using your pic Tom

ok so the springs are in the stock location then?? cool..

·
Registered
320 Posts
You can always use a plumb bob and duck tape on the floor to determine if you have enough room or not.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i have thought about 17's just for the simple fact i can get a tire that performs how i want on the street, but i just don't know fi they would look good on the Demon

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
demon340v said:
i have thought about 17's just for the simple fact i can get a tire that performs how i want on the street, but i just don't know fi they would look good on the Demon
that's exactly what i was thinking

·
Registered
404 Posts
Evan said:
demon340v said:
that's exactly what i was thinking
PLus the way i think of it if i'm going to sucha large rim it has ot be something "diffrent" and for em to be "diffrent" we are talking over1k on just rims alone :-(

·
Registered
404 Posts
damna 6" backspacing! with my new wheels i'm going for about a 3" backspacing since i got the b body rear end i got a bit more room

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmm, that's weird. i have a b-body rear too. stock b-body 8 3/4 i measured and 6" backspacing fits just right. i can fit them in there without moving my springs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had a B body rear in my 70 for a little while, and 14's with 3" of backspacing still rubbed on the quarters.

·
Registered
404 Posts
hmm intresting Evan. i'm planning on mounting a 255/60/15 out back i should eb fine with that and shoudl still tuck or flow with the wheel well good.

I saw some weld wheels last night that they make in 17's and i don't know if they would look nice or not.

bad thing about going to a larger rim like that your kinda stuck with 40 50 series very few companies make a 60 series in that and if they do they stop at about a 215 or a 225 at the most

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i saw some sweet weld 17s that i really liked, but i called and they were discontinued!

maybe i dont have a b-body rear. but i measured just over 6" from the mounting pad to the springs, so i can have up to 6" backspacing without hitting the springs or tubbs

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you got just over 6" I wouldn't go with more then 5.5" back spacing. You need to have room for the tire side-wall and still have some clearance. I have a 65 B-body 8 3/4 and I have close to 8" from the mounting flange to the side of the spring. I'm running 17X8's with 5.75" back spacing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Evan said:
i saw some sweet weld 17s that i really liked, but i called and they were discontinued!

maybe i dont have a b-body rear. but i measured just over 6" from the mounting pad to the springs, so i can have up to 6" backspacing without hitting the springs or tubbs

There are some in the summit magazine off in anotehr section then the wheels they ahve 17's and i think they are weld's version of the Cobra r wheels but they look pretty damn nice.

yeah i do have a b body rear from a 69 runner. overall i have a 1" more on my axel. that gave me .5" on each side and it also pushed my tires from my springs from 1" to about 2-2.5" away i like the room i had compared with my oem a body rear it was pretty damn close in fact it was prob less then an inch from the tire to the spring

1 - 20 of 24 Posts