Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you use a removeable steering wheel, which company for the coupler did you get.
Was installation easy?
Can you still use the turn signals?
Show some pics if you can.

Thinking of installing one as it would be easier to get in and out of the Dart with the roll cage. Old age is starting to set in :-[.

gt

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks B1.
Is this a bolt on or is it welded on the shaft?
Do you know how much height it added?
Do horn and signals still work?

Thanks

gt

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went through this a while back and this is what I come up with.

It involves using a Grant hub adaptor, a custom made spacer, a Mark Williams quik release hub and a steering wheel of course. The blinkers will work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The horn won't though.

It all bolts to the stock column but, you will have to weld the quik release to the custom spacer. The spacer allowed me to position the wheel aproximately in the stock position. You could put it where you wanted it though. The Grant hub adapter kit has the blinker return on it and the cover included in the kit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well it does ad some height, how much I cant tell you as I never compared. It is a bolt on deal, slides over the factory splines and you use the stock nut. The signals work but the horn woudl be a trick but I am sure if I gave it some thought it could be done. IMO it is a pretty slick set up for a stock column. I also toss the factory sterring joint to the box and use a Borgeson joint instead, looks better not that is can be seen.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
I will give Summit a call and order thier hub as it is a bolt on unit and give it a shot.
I will figure out something for the horn, even if I have to put a button somewhere to make it go beep beep :D.

gt

·
Registered
20 Posts
B1 did you have an issue with the part that fits the column shaft not seating and engaging the the splines all the way down? I tried the Summit part and seams I had some kind of issue. Anyway I decided to go a diffrent route. I still have it and an adaptor to get from it (the three hole bolt pattern quik release) to the Grant style steering wheel. You can have them both for twenty bucks plus shipping if your interested. The part that goes over the steering shaft has some imperfections from being pulled on and off the column a couple of times but other that it is O.K. If your interested let me know and I will see if I can find some part numbers so you know exactly what your getting.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
72, the part # from Summit is "SUM-G7852". It fits Chrysler 11/16", 36 serration shafts. Page 212 of the cataloge that I have, about $60. Not bad, B1 has a nice setup with it on. I did read somewhere that it is not street legal though, but I will still install it. %)

gt

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did not have any issues with my install at all as it relates to the column. It went on fiine with no issues. Not saying other wont as these old cars dont have the tightest productions tolerances in the industry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts