Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a set of stripes for my 74 dart and im scared to put em on lol... i dont want them to turn out bad. ive got all the stuff to do it and ive read all the directions over and over. i really wanted to have someone with expirience help me or do it for me but i cant find anyone. has anyone ever tried and messed it up? and if so could you save it?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just take your time and lay out the stripes and hang them on the car with tape. Make sure you use lots of soapy water. Cheap dish soap works the best. Just make sure you push the water out from the middle out. And did I say to use a lot of soapy water.

·
Registered
435 Posts
[]{}
I worked for a John Deere dealership in college. A couple of times I had to install decals. Many of these were MASSIVE, six feet+ long and up to a foot wide in spots. The soapy water is the trick, it allows you to move the decal all over the car. Once the soap and water dry, the sticker is set and your done. Don't rush, with the soapy water you'll have plenty of time to work.

One last thing: Give your selfplenty of time, no reason to rush. Give yourself plenty of work room, be sure you can move about freely. Do only one side of the car at a time. Work in the shade, on cool day, preferably inside. All of these things will slow you down, slow down the drying of the soap, and calm your nerves. Use a squeegy to push "gently, very gently" push out the air bubbles.

Go look at another car, few decals are "perfect" Thus you, are trying to do an excellent job, not a perfect one.

Finally, remember the golden rule, the enemy of "good" is "better." doh

Regards

Joe

·
Registered
404 Posts
dartracer said:
Just take your time and lay out the stripes and hang them on the car with tape. Make sure you use lots of soapy water. Cheap dish soap works the best. Just make sure you push the water out from the middle out. And did I say to use a lot of soapy water.

i agree me and my dad put the sticker package back on his roadrunner, it was a perfect time it was sprinkling outside so we mixed up teh soapy water and use the rain to our advantage it was fun

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also if the car has been painted make sure there is no dirt in the paint where you put the stripe otherwise it will look like an air bubble in the decal. Like they said take your time and lots of soapy water and get someone to hold one end in place while you work the other end. I like to spray the outside of the stripe as well just to make the squeege slide along easier.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Make sure you can use soapy water.most you can .It is the easiest way to go.Pay close attention to the way the decal is centered on the paper.Sometimes the stripes are not centered on the paper and alot of people try to use the paper edge for reference and end up with a crooked stripe.Pay attention to the stripe itself to get your reference.Let us know how it goes.Good luck.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Nobody wants to admitt to messing them up. If you get them on and you messed one up, Your done as they don't like to come back off. Bob, I can't belive you got yours on in one shot lol Dave

·
Registered
593 Posts
We did the ones on the side of the challenger...just like everyone said, soapy water on both sides...just make sure there straight, and work out all the air bubbles...As the sun hits the stripes, ALL the bubbles do work out as the stripe shrinks up a bit. I had a few that were a problem and I stuck a pin in them and in a few days they were gone....We painted the hood, figured it was easier than putting the decal on... ;D...It's no biggie, just take your time.....

Sue

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dont forget to measure the distances on all sides.That is more important than soapy water, IMO.

·
Registered
593 Posts
ctfgt No You Won't...Quit bein a baby...Do I have to come there and do it for you? If you use enough soapy water (put it in a spray bottle) you can move that thing all over the place, and it takes a LONG time to get all that water out from undernerneath it before it is stuck...You'll be wondering why you can still move it.... ;D.. )(/*...YOU CAN DO IT.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I DID IT !!! THEY LOOK AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! really turned out good. im very proud! lol me and a pal did it 1st time for both. took about 3 hrs. i took some really great fotos but my dig camera just died and i cant get the pics out of it!!!! agggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! please stand by.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Looks great...good job.... ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks!! now it looks as good as most on here. i did mess up the left stripe although its hard to see. from the tip to the door handle is about 1/8 in too low.. at least the stripe is straight within itself. i appricate all the tips that i got here on the application

1 - 20 of 20 Posts