Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok does anyone know what the best way to fix rust spots in the bottom of the windshield frame where all the dirt and dust has set for 36 years? I pulled out my winshield and gasket and I have several small holes all across the bottom, some are worse than others.
I dont really want to cut and weld in a bunch of erraser sized spots. I have seen or heard somewhere that you can use brass to fill in these areas? Does anyone know about this? and if so how does it work and how hard is it to do?

THis is not an area that anyone will ever see once the windshield is back in the car, But I will know its there and want to fix it right. I also dont want a bunch of water leaks in my floor boards...

ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks Randy

·
Registered
847 Posts
i prefer to "rebuild" the area..... but an easy way would be to clean the area; preferably sandblast, but one of those "rust encapsulator, or por15 products" would probably work. then use a waterproof epoxy to fill the holes. i like a product called "marine-tex". it sold at boating supply stores. its a little pricey, but its awesome and has many uses. its mixed 5:1 with a hardner. DONT use too much hardner, it wont harden. less is better than more. after it is hard, it is sandable.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it actually has small holes in it(eraser sized)you could clean it up and just weld the holes up and finish accordingly.There wuld be no need to remove any metal.Just fil the small holes with weld,providing you have acess to a welder.

·
Registered
847 Posts
[]{} that works too! ;D

·
Registered
828 Posts
Both above are good options. I would clean, weld the pinholes, use a good rust stop paint/primer and skim with duraglass or some other glass filler to add some strength if it is thin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.