Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I´m having some problems on wiring my Dart...
I´ve installed a MSD 6AL, MSD Distributor and Blaster 2.

My car had the 4 pin ballast and my coil had 2 wires on positive, one was brown and was coming from the ballast and the other wire (I guess it was orange, not sure) I think it was coming from inside the car.
Is it correct to have 2 wires on positive, shouldn´t be only the one coming from the ballast ?

Now I don´t know if I should connect this "orange" wire on light red wire of the 6AL or the dark blue that was connected to the ballast (and also to the voltage regulator).
Do you guys have any clue ?

In case the "orange" is the one to be connected, what should I do with the dark blue ? Forget the ballast and connect it to the voltage regulator only ?

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disconnect the ballast, except for the one to the voltage regulator. The wire coming out of the firewall should only be hot when the ignition is on. This the one you should connect to the msd box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was checking this yesterday..
I don´t know if that´s correct since I´m new on eletrics...but looks like there´s 2 white wires connected on "ON" position at the ignition switch, and the orange is connected on "Start/Cranking" position.

One of these white wires is going to the "ignition" side of the voltage regulator. The orange wire was going to the positive of the coil.

I read somewhere that the coil needs full charge while cranking. And while the engine is running, the ballast starts working. Isn´t that the reason of the two wires on the coil ? The orange acts while cranking and the brown one coming from ballast acts when the engine is running ?

As the orange one is connected to the light red of the MSD, it will act only when cranking, right ?

I´ve followed the instructions of the MSD box (connect the original wire that was on positive of the coil on the light red of the box) but I´m not sure if the wiring on my car was correct before installing the box.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel your wiring pain...doing the same thing on my '70 Dart, but it has the single pole ballast. I followed everything exactly as the MSD instructions said to do...went to start car and NOTHING. Checked all my connections and everything, still nothing. I checked the box for spark and it has PLENTY at the coil, too. Apparently, MSD tech support says there is no signal coming from my distributor. It is brand new and works perfectly with the stock Orange box setup.

Frustrated, I took the darn thing out and put the Orange box back in and it fired right up!

So, if anyone can shed some light PLEASE help me out, too.

Jim

·
Registered
274 Posts
The MSD has one ignition ON wire (I forget the color). Your stock ignition switch has an ignition position and a crank position. The MSD needs an ON signal in both the crank and ignition positions. Here is a simple diagram:

IGNITION ------------------ BLAST RESISTOR ------+-------------------- (OLD COIL) -----NOW TO MSD BOX
CRANK ------------------------------------------------------|

Use a voltmeter and make sure there is 12V to the MSD (enable wire) in both the crank and ignition positions.
Wire it like this and away you go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts