Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been asked over&over!

'71 Dart changing from Kelsey Hayes to '74 front discs. I heard that the later tie rods had more bend. If I want to freshen up the front end what year should I get?
I was thinking of buying an "all in one" kit, but I have Bill's tubular upper A already, not sure if it'd be cheaper to get parts individually?

I really would appreciate ANY help! Car is all apart, and the "vacation" I'm on to spend quality time with my car is fast ticking away :D

Thanks!
Eric

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
There shouldn't be any bend to the tie rods. The front end rebuild kits can be tailored to the parts you are using. All of the companies understand the brake swaps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,
I called two different companies, I tried to explain what I was doing, and didn't get really great answers. I know a million other guys have done this before, including me 15 years ago.

Unfortunately I can't remember everything I did before, I think I just asked for parts for a '74 Duster.

Can anyone recommend a supplier? What year stuff should I ask for, multiple years or a later car?

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
All of the outer stuff will be 74 parts. Tie rod ends are the same as are the control arm bushings. Idler and Pitman arms correspond to the center link being used (67-72 or 73-76).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense, the center link is '71.

If you look at Mancini Racing's ad the earlier 70-72 disc kit is more expensive than the later kit. They told me it was an outer tie-rod difference???

I guess I'll just pick and choose.

Thanks Jim!

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I upgraded to '73-up disks on my '64 Valiant, I used C-body tie rod sleeves and tie rod ends. They are larger (11/16" vs 9/16") and cost about the same. 

Solid sleeves are also available in both sizes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.