Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my '71 won't start in park at all, and occasionally it won't start in Neutral either. I checked the little switch in the tranny, and it reads open in park, and shorted in neutral, so I'm assuming the switch is bad. But when I bought the car, the guy that I got it from said he thought it was because he had replaced the ignition. Could this possibly be the problem, or do I just need a new switch? And where can I go to find a new one? Any help would be great.

Bryan

·
Registered
112 Posts
The shift linkage is probably the problem but, for the price of a new switch (less than $10) while you have the car in the air go ahead and change it out. This is a simple switch, it is either open or shut so check the linkage no matter what.

Bill,

·
Registered
704 Posts
yup its the nuetrol safty switch, mine i sometimes have to drop it into out of park to get it to turn over

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally had some more time time to play with it a little, and the switch seems fine now that I played with the shift linkage a little bit. But it still won't start in park. It starts in Neutral most of the time, but I have to push the key in pretty hard, and sometimes it just won't start at all, so I ordered a new switch to put in. My new problem is that I can't figure out how to get the old switch out. I took the steering wheel off and got it taken apart down the turn signals, but I can't get to the switch itself. My Hayne's said that there should be a lever to hold down, and the switch should slide right out, but I haven't been able to find it. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Bryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.