Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
8 AWG is a nice size, how far do you want to run it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's for my 60 amp alternator to the trunk. I don't intend on ever needing a bigger alternator, either, as I have no sound system and no plans or want for one in this car.
the most i'll ever have on at one time is the engine fan, headlights, W/S wipers, and ignition.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i used 6 on mine. i found it lying around on the job. that looks like nice fine strand wire, but i think youd be better off with 6 since you are going to the trunk.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you have 2 AWG running from the battery in the trunk up to the firewall, there is no need to run the alternator wire back to the battery. I mounted a bulkhead connector on the firewall and made that the common battery junction. See the attached picture of the connector. If you look at the 2nd pic (engine), you can see the bulkhead connector high on the firewall. You probably need to fix up all the high current connections and check the other wiring associated with the alternator. I am not sure of the kill switch requirements for the track, maybe this isn't allowed because the alt can keep the car running. If that is the case, a number 6 back to the battery (kill switch) would be better.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, here is my two cents. The National Electric Code says #8 wire will carry 45 amps safely. I know that wiring in a car gets hotter than you want it in your house but it is at least a good guide to follow. These days people put these powerful electric fans on their radiators, this factor might give you something to think about.

Good Luck,
Bruce

·
Registered
112 Posts
The charge wire has to go to the battery so the kill switch will shut off all power to the car. That is in the NHRA rule book for trunk mounted batteries....

Bill,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PlymanNos said:
The charge wire has to go to the battery so the kill switch will shut off all power to the car. That is in the NHRA rule book for trunk mounted batteries....

Bill,
Plus there is a theory that it's better for 100% of the alternator output to go to the battery first, rather than the battery getting what's left over after the accessories are done with it. Read this article - it makes sense.

https://shogunindustries.com/cgi-bi...art_id=1061004041831498&page=tech/wiring.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts