Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I think cutting just one side (the inside) of the frame is probably the strongest way to put the new boxes in; I can't help but wonder how you are supposed to weld the "top inside" ridge of the new box in. Should there be holes drilled in the exsisting outside frame wall to "tack" through?
Also; on another note; the exsisting stock hole in the frame is only 1/4 inch forward of the stock spring location. Couldn't that be used to mark where you will drill for the new spring location? (Before welding of coarse)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mopartist said:
Although I think cutting just one side (the inside) of the frame is probably the strongest way to put the new boxes in; I can't help but wonder how you are supposed to weld the "top inside" ridge of the new box in. Should there be holes drilled in the exsisting outside frame wall to "tack"  through?
Also; on another note; the exsisting stock hole in the frame is only 1/4 inch forward of the stock spring location. Couldn't that be used to mark where you will drill for the new spring location? (Before welding of coarse)
Yes I drilled a few holes in the outside wall to plug weld the box to...I used 1/2" holes to make sure I got enough strength once welded up...Also the box is a little taller than the frame rail so I also welded the outside wall of the frame to the box the whole length...See my site for a few pics if I'm confusing you...Oops my site doesnt show my plug weld holes but the pics might help anyhoo..Also before you drill the spring mounting holes in the boxes, decide whether you want to move the rear end back at all, I moved mine approx 1" towards the rear so I could fit bigger tires without trimming the front of the wheelwell opening...

Ryan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts