Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am moving along with the mock up in the Dart.  10 pt S+W cage.  I am locating the main hoop and have a few Qs.  I just looked over the rules, and the main hoop cannot be more than 6" from the helmet.  I was hoping to angle hoop, rather than perpendicular to the floor, to match the angle of the break in the door and rear window.  It is much more pleasing to the eye, and allows to somewhat hide the hoop behind the trim/seals between the side windows. I need about 4 degrees to do this.  Now, in doing this, the very top of the hoop at the roof, it is more than 6" from the helmet.  Is this a problem?  It is a 10pt cage with a roof halo and A-pillar bars, so I am just wanting some input on this.

Also, the 6x6 floor plates.  If they are welded in, then it is only necessary to use a single top plate, rather than sandwiching the floor pan between two of them, correct? I still might weld them and then sandwich from the bottom, but I just wanted to be clear on this.

Thanks again, I'll get this done someday... lol.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
the door lines are straight up and the window is cocked back a little,my bar follows the window line and goes just past the door line towards the front.with my seat up against the cross bar,as it should be,my head is very close to the bar.you may need to move your seats or tilt them back a little to acomplish this.and you are right it does look better that way,however i would never put looks over safety.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Andy...

I have the S&W 10 pt in my Duster.  If you can position the main hoop in the zone where the door window ends /the rear window meats, the exterior chrome flash almost hides the outline of the bar hoop.  Additionally, from a Tech standpoint, we've never taken a tape measure to measure 6 inches with the driver in place and dont think a 4* tilt will ever be noticible.
You prob wont go for a 8.50 cert anyhow and might not even need a 9.90 cert, so I don't think that that will be a tech inspection factor, besides we don't cert the cage with the driver in place.  Just my .02 cents worth from a looks and tech insp standpoint.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was a false alarm, I had moved the seat forward... **(*), in driving position, it is well withing the 6" limit.

West, that sounds identical to my setup. Right, I am trying to follow the window line, to hide the bar.

Dave, your right. This is a 90% street car, I just want to make sure I can get things as close as I can.

Now, those floor plates... I am working on fitting them in. Consider where the main hoop sits, if I want the main hoop in the center of the 6x6 plate, I will need to really alter the floor, due to the drain plug, and the fold line where the two peices of the floor come together. What I am thinking, is to grind the floor plate to fit around these areas, rather than beating the tar out of the floor to flatten it out. Then I can nicely weld the plate in, and keep the original fold and floor joint intact.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
here are a few pics.:
  baseplate for hoop

angle of bar at base,i'm guessing slightly more than 4 degrees by looking at it

this shows the bar hidden behind the trim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts